February 22, 2012

upside-down


pear chocolate cake, from the "rustic fruit dessert" book. one of my housemates was bringing a big bag of pears home, she is a gardener (not just flowers, but also berries and fruit trees are her field), so she is a wonderful source for all kinds of goods, last week it was 3lbs of red beets...
in search of something sweet and yummy i was right away thinking of the rustic fruit book. this one has lots of old fashioned moist types of desserts in it, cobblers, buckles crumbles, pandowdies etc. and that's what i was craving for.
o well it's rich but not heavy, the caramel sauce is the starting grounds, pear slices added and then the batter with melted chocolate, butter and two eggs beaten (with mixer, until the colour is getting lighter, this makes it more airy).
it turned out delicious everyone liked it and there was still a slice left for my afternoon espresso in the afternoon. yes i needed it to pair with an espresso, plain would just have been too sweet for me...

by the way it was an awesome afternoon, sunshine in our living room and after a game of memory with thea i got to knit a bit further on my cardigan. just sleeves left...

1 comment:

naturally crafted mama said...

Mmmmm looks scrumptious! and 3 pounds of beets, i would be in all my cooking joy. I love putting grated beets in all my baked goods and my "power pancakes" :)