November 26, 2013

cookies plus


the first batch of christmas cookies are out of the oven...
the batch you see is not made by the boys, my lady neighbors came over last week and we baked and glaceed and decorated cookies for the "advents sale" of our church. of course amos was telling me a couple times already, that he want's to get in on the baking too. and then yesterday he decided to invite a friend over today after school. the boys started easy, mailaenderli is their first kind of cookies, though their plans are already made for some more kinds... and a third boy will join in.
this is really fun and amos is very good in instructing and explaining why things are measured and done the way he/we do it. the recipe is a good guide though he already starts to venture, today it was the simple choice of adding some vanilla sugar. a good idea and i'm sure it will turn out perfect. they will meet again on thursday afternoon to cut the dough into and bake the cookies. i'm very excited too and hope for many more hours with the crew in our kitchen.

and on the side, also in the kitchen, the girls doing their own knitting and reading, fun and good comments are welcome at any time. the darker and cold evenings start to take shape and i realize how good those long evenings are.

1 comment:

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Those cookies look so delicious!! I'm looking forward to baking with my daughter for Christmas this year. She's three and a half now and really loves to help in the kitchen. I also love the berries on your table. My neighbor has a crabapple tree in her yard that hangs into our yard and I've been wanting to trim some branches. I also know of a place where I can cut winterberries. They're my favorite this time of year!! : )

~ Wendy